Everyone yearns to become better in their chosen skills, cooking is no exception. Even if your cooking skill is zero; like everything else, constant practice would increase your knowledge and subsequently bring about perfection. Just relax and act like you are playing with the ingredients and you will realise that cooking is not a daunting task.
1. Add to your knowledge: Constant update of your cooking knowledge is very important. You are already in the know of the basics of cooking and only need to improve on your skills. Search for recipes from friends and relatives.
There are often several ways you can cook a meal and still achieve the same results. So there is always something new to learn. When you eat a meal you are used to eating and notice an improvement in the taste, it is good you find out what was done differently to achieve such result.
2. Timing: This is one of the foremost tips of becoming a better cook. It is not enough to know all the ingredients, you need to know the right time to add certain ingredients, so that all the money and time spent on premium ingredients does not amount to nothing. Knowing the right time to add certain ingredients goes a long way to making your food taste better.
3. Organisation: There are certain things that need to be done before you even begin cooking for example; you should take your time to slice up your vegetables and choop other ingredients that need be chopped place them in separate bowls and set them aside. This is so that you can meet up with the appropriate timing of adding such ingredients and avoid having to hurriedly wash and slice them before adding them.
4. Attention to details: Watch out for how your cooking can benefit from low, medium or high heat. Sometimes, you need high heat to dry up your rice quickly as medium heat would make it become soggy.
5. Have the basic tools you need: It is very important to have the basic kitchen utensils handy instead of having to cook without those basic utensils. As little as a chopping board is essential in the kitchen. It will help you cut your carrots or green peppers better as opposed to not having it. It may be worth it investing in an expensive blender because it gives you the best tomato puree required.
6. Plan Ahead: It is a good idea to plan what you intend cooking well ahead of time. This is so that you can be sure to buy all the necessary ingredients for preparing the recipe.
7. Choose your time carefully: It is best to cook when you are sure you to have minimal distraction. Do not plan to cook when your favourite TV programme is on air or on a day you brought unfinished work at the office home. The less you are distracted from your cooking, the better attention you will pay to the preparation of the meal. This way, your meal is not likely to get burnt meals.
8. Give yourself plenty of time: Always give yourself plenty of time to cook your chosen recipe. With practice, you can estimate the number of hours it will take to cook a pot of fried rice and still meet up with meal time. This way, you will not need to rush through your cooking. In case, you invited friends over for a meal, you do not want to be dashing to and fro the kitchen when you should be talking with your visitors.
9. Be adventurous in the kitchen: Feel free to throw a few vegetables in the frying pan to make your very own gravy. You can start by using your favourite vegetables, then eliminate and substitute later if you feel that some of them do not fit in the mix due to their taste or texture. Soon, you would woo your friends and family with a recipe that started out as a trial. Remember, it is your kitchen so play with the ingredients as much as you so desire.
10. Do it often: Practice, they say, makes perfection. The more you cook, the more you learn new and better methods in the art of cooking.
The frequency of cooking also boosts your confidence in the kitchen. Let’s say you cook Jollof Rice every weekend, you will be perfecting the different stages of cooking it better than when you cook it only once in two months.
I do hope that, at least of the above tips will help you in your quest to becoming a better cook. Happy Cooking!
Posted on Leadership Lifestyle